UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Ukraine)
The purpose of this project was to increase the operational capability of the Supreme Court of Ukraine (SCU) in line with best UK / EU court practice and to strengthen the links between UK and Ukraine judiciary. Outputs were:
- A report on the current operations of the SCU, with the potential for future linkages and collaborative work with UK Rule of Law institutions being identified
- An raised awareness of SCU judges and staff on best UK practices and methodologies in the priority areas identified by the SCU
- A closer working relationships between the SCU and UK counterparts established and recommendations on SCU structural improvements developed and agreed
Agencia has been working with the Constitutional Court of Ukraine. Pictured at the closing workshop in Kyiv are: Andrew Gibson, Chairman Anatolii Holovin, Jonathan Radway, Judge Yurii Baulin, and Steve Jacobs.
Support to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine – Phase 2 (September 2010 – March 2011)
The purpose of this project was to continue the support to the Secretariat of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine (CCU), commenced in September 2009, with particular emphasis on: enhancing public understanding of the role of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, and their (the public’s) access to the “appeal” process; reviewing the management structure, court rule book and future strategy. Outputs were:
- enhance their general understanding of the role of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine in protecting citizens’ rights;
- correctly formulate any appeals they make to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine so that the Court may proceed where appropriate to issue an official interpretation.
Support to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine – Phase 1 (September 2009 – March 2010)
This project took place in the latter half of 2009/10 and involved the production of a diagnostic report highlighting the issues facing the Constitutional Court of Ukraine at that time. That led to the Phase 2 activities outlined above.
Steve Jacobs and Jonathan Radway are pictured with Mr Vayacheslav Panasyuk of the Ukraine Ministry of Justice during a visit to Kyiv.
The British Embassy in Kyiv commissioned Agencia to conduct a short scoping study into the potential for future SPF funding to be deployed in the field of judicial reform in Ukraine. Agencia produced a diagnostic report with recommendations on key areas where SPF-funded might make the maximum impact.